Monday, November 8, 2010

At Long Last!

Yes, at long last my children are in bed. And quiet. At the same time. Who is to say that miracles don't happen these days? 

I know I said that I would begin my blog with the advent season and it isn't quite advent yet. (I think it begins Sunday, November 28 this year.) But if I don't get my rear in gear I'll be totally unprepared. I think at one time (before kids) we had an advent wreath. There are probably lots of resources for teaching children the true meaning of Christmas but it would be ridiculous to start on say, December 15 because I was concentrating on opening gifts on December 25. Strange that I can hand in a theology paper on some obscure topic that (hopefully) nobody will ever read on time but sharing our faith with my children seems to be unattainable. I think the difference is that I'm not being graded on my advent wreath. Or perhaps I believe deep down that I can cram for that 'final exam'. (If Jesus asks me how to write a footnote I'm home free! Woo hoo!)

Jokes aside, the preparation of the birth of Jesus IS important. Teaching rituals to our children is important as well. Brush your teeth, put on jammies, say prayers, go to bed. These are our daily rituals. When we become disoriented during our day we fall back on routine. It's why routines are there. When our children look back on their childhood they will remember when the family came together to pray. Prayer is not just a recitation of words but communication with God. Jesus has told us that whenever two or more are gathered in His name He is present. Prayer transcends space and time, continually giving our children a parent's blessing long after we are gone. It has no shelf life. It never runs out of batteries. It has no expiration date. It is the perfect gift. 


Now that I have written about an ideal world I have to go and clean up my real world. Tonight I will pray that God may keep my husband and kids safe, that my baby will sleep through the night, and tomorrow I will be blessed with lots of coffee.




No comments: