Friday, May 16, 2014

A Change of Pace

Hello Ladies,

Today I'm going to do something that I thought I would never do: get personal. I've tried to be as anonymous and neutral as possible because I want to be a source of comfort to all moms and not just those who fit into my racial/political/religious/educational strata. What would be the point of that? Also I've looked at other 'mom blogs'. They are entertaining, well written, and sometimes wise. But to write about myself? Well, I prefer reading about their lives to explaining mine.

But then I got to thinking; who wants to read about dry theology, anyway? Perhaps this "Everywoman" approach is informative but lacks the intimacy of a friend. I have also come to the realization that I want other women to share in my journey. Why would you post a comment if you have no clue who I am? Yes, my posts will continue to be theology based and anonymous but from now on I'm going to write to you as a friend.

So friends, here is a little about myself.

I chose the name Mariam for my blog because it was the name I chose for my confirmation when I was 16.  I have always felt close to Mary but that relationship continues to be conflicted because of the strained relationship with my earthly mother. My mother died several years ago as a direct result of her addictions. Even though I went through a tumultuous childhood I no longer blame my mother for all the bad things in my life (probably because she can't cause any more damage). I miss her.

I am the mother of three children: boy (7), girl (4), and girl (almost 2).  They keep me exceedingly busy but they are worth it.

I was raised Catholic and continue in my Catholic faith because the elders in my life whom I greatly respect continued in their faith. They overcame great hardships with patience and grace. I saw firsthand that the power of love could conquer self-loathing and hate.

Things I like about being Catholic:

The Eucharist. Whether in mass or at adoration it is the only place where I feel I am "good enough". I am in the presence of Love, after all. I also feel closer to those who have died and yes, even the children in my family waiting to be born.

The communion of saints. Time and space don't matter. I continue to be close to my grandmother. Sometimes I feel my mother's love surrounding me. I'm not saying that she suddenly became a saint when she died. But I do believe that once she saw the power of Love she could finally love in ways that she couldn't manage while trapped in her diseased body. Sometimes I think that watching over me and my children is a part of her purgatory. I have no theological basis for this. I just feel that to give and receive love is healing for us both.

The prayers. Yes! The prayers! I love that Catholic prayers, especially the mass, (and the Our Father, of course) have been said, sung, and chanted for thousands of years in countless languages. Now THAT is stability.


Things that drive me crazy:

Criticism. I put my best into everything I do. I'm not a perfectionist but I set high standards for myself. I work hard to be accountable for all of my actions. So I HATE being second-guessed. Have a problem with my kitchen? Go ahead and clean it. Just don't ask me what I've been doing all day. If being a mom were simply an exercise in time management... Grrrr...

People who speed through school zones. 'Nuff said.

Popular media: I'm supposed to think uncharitable thoughts about people I have never met because of some unsubstantiated sound bite? I think not. And PLEASE, before you criticize the church, study history, or philosophy, or the doctrine in question.  Then come talk to me. I cannot believe that people can make money using arguments that would have earned me a failing grade. And do not get me started on advertising or "feminist" magazines that promote sex as the pinnacle of feminine power and freedom.

Things that I love but maybe shouldn't:

The shows "Say Yes to the Dress" and "What Not to Wear". I also love "Rehab Addict" and "Property Brothers". I also like "Doctor Who", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and "Babylon 5". I don't have the time to keep up with "Downton Abbey" or any show with a continuous storyline.

I love 'The Dresden Files' written by Jim Butcher. Like 'the kids have to wait while I read' kind of love.

"Lord of the Rings". The books - not the movies. Also "The Chronicles of Narnia".

My kids know the words to "Not My Mama's Broken Heart" by Miranda Lambert. I think I should be concerned about this.

Random tidbits:

My favorite time period is the Middle Ages. I have no fear of Old and Middle English.

I love Latin but I'm terrible at it.

I read theology books in my spare time.

I hate mornings and run on coffee. A friend of mine told me that I don't eat as much as I think I do because of the children distracting me or eating off of my plate.

I hate to admit it but I've been diagnosed with postpartum depression after the birth of both of my girls.


Well, that's about it.  I hope this makes me seem more accessible and, well, human. I am looking forward to getting to know you.

Mariam

No comments: