Monday, January 17, 2011

Out on a limb

Hi Ladies. I'm going out on a limb here and do something I have never done before: I am going to ask Pope John Paul II to intercede on behalf of my father. I know that I call myself Theology Mom and have an MA Theology so it should be a safe assumption that I am incredibly devout and I know my stuff. Really, Ladies, I entered my MA as a total skeptic. Sure, God had intervened at critical points of my life but I expected to lose my faith during my studies. I don't know why but I expected myself to be disappointed. Obviously I wasn't. But it doesn't mean I was raised to pray the rosary or ask the saints for intercession. This is all new to me. 


You see, it's hard for me to admit that I'm out of control. But right now I am. My father is in a care facility after breaking his hip (again) and he might spend the rest of his days in a wheelchair and possibly diapers. This means that this once proud and capable man will probably deteriorate out of the shame of his situation. My siblings and I are trying to keep his spirits up. We visit as often as we can (it is a rare day that he does not get at least one visitor who stays with him for hours) but it is getting more and more difficult. For some reason he is not making progress in his physical therapy. I am at my wits' end trying to balance a move and two young children. (I know it's petty to complain but my daughter has been teething and not sleeping or napping no matter what I try. And after a while even I get tired of being cried at. So more baby medicine... but still...) 


So as I was surfing the net (in order to put off cleaning the kitchen) I found this article: 


http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110117/ap_on_re_eu/eu_france_john_paul_ii


Now I'm thinking: This nun was in a wheelchair. My dad is in a wheelchair. Her health was deteriorating. My dad's health is deteriorating. OK, I was raised to believe that miracles once happened but don't anymore or that you can pray but don't expect anything. (I know, Catholic teaching is that we are fundamentally spiritually beings who should expect God's loving presence in our lives. If only I had the faith to live that way all the time!) 


So out of love for my dad I am going to ask the saints for intercession. Really ask this time like I mean it. Because, Ladies, I really do mean it.


Thanks for listening. I'm off to clean a kitchen before my daughter wakes up crying. Again.

No comments: